Tennis Australian Open (Women)
Published on | updated
Not considered not ready to defend his title, Serena Williams has withdrawn from the Australian Open, which should have been his first tournament since the birth of her daughter in September.
Serena Williams will not resume competition at the Australian Open. (LUTTIAU/The Team)
This is a tweet and a press release from the Australian Open as the news broke in the late morning hour australian : Serena Williams is forfeiting for the first Grand Slam tournament of the year 2018. The American thirty-six years will resume, therefore, not the competition in Melbourne, after being tested during an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi, lost against Jelena Ostapenko, the winner of the recent Roland-Garros (6-2, 3-6, 10-5). the “Even though I’m very disappointed, I decided not to participate in the Australian Open this year. After my return to Abu Dhabi, I realized that even if I was close, I’m not at the level where I want to be personally”, ” she says in the press release transmitted by the tournament in australia.
Unfortunately, @serenawilliams has withdrawn from the #AusOpen.
“I can compete – but I don’t want to just compete, I want to do far better than that and to do so, I will need a little more time.”
Good luck for the rest of 2018, Serena! We’ll miss you ?
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 5, 2018
She continues : “My coach and my team always told me not to make me that on tournaments where I was prepared to go to the end. I can be competitive, but I don’t want to just be competitive, I can do much better than that, and for that, I’m going to need a little more time.” The champion for twenty-three Grand Slam titles (including 7 in Australia), therefore, has not succeeded, dared, to come back to his top level only four and a half months after the birth of her first child. It will not be able to defend a title acquired when she was already pregnant, without knowing it. the “I’ll always keep the memory of last year’s Olympia, like me, are eager to come back. I appreciate all the support and understanding of my fans and all at the Australian Open.”
This package is a blow for the Major australian who, this week, had already lost two heads displayed in the table male : the Japanese and the former world’s fourth largest Kei Nishikori, not ready to play five set matches and who prefer to continue his preparation by playing challengers, and the British Andy Murray, the former world number 1 is always in delicacy with her hip.